Wednesday 30 April 2014

The Charmer- Part2

My parents seemed happy with my progress. It was day one only, I argued. My high decibels and roaring laughter from last night had reached their ears. I asked them to keep calm. 

Mr. Charming was upfront . He immediately asked to video chat. I didn't waste a minute.I was in my polka dot pajamas and my  faded Super man t-shirt , with my hair bundled up on the top. The entire house was alarmed that we were meeting virtually. Pin drop silence, I demanded and no ears on my door, I requested. My mum quickly made me wear a pink lacy top ,while she let my hair loose.

 The Charmer was vivacious and vibrant. He could be funny and break into a song out of the blue. Life was always on the move for him.He just knew his way through girls , I could say that because an absolutely geeky, plain-jane Simran , was into splits, at his lamest joke.He was straightforward, which I liked. We discussed everything under the sun.

Want to check a man, hurt his ego and you will know.With verbal banters also came squabbles . Don't try to drive a woman through your ways, she may not be always right but you can't put her under your thumb. I could smell an air of dominance in him. When that aspect got sorted, his sheer arrogance became clear.I always believed top education humbles a person.But Mr. Charmer couldn't help flaunting his annual package and perks. 

We continued to talk and the laughter and banters never got less.My folks were elevated with the progress. My mum had already stamped him.But hello, I never said yes. I had not even met him. I could feel the pressure when my mother showed a thumbs up at his calls He was a welcoming break in my languid life.Did I like him enough to get married.? 

Then we met.This was totally new, hence exciting. He definitely looked better than the pictures. We ordered food and we talked about everything except marriage.This was good.Until he asked me about the few not-so-visible acne spots on my face. I quipped, pre- menstrual syndrome. Get the hint boy, odd question. Well, he couldn't get over his looks and had the audacity to compare his 'fair and lovely' skin with my brown,tanned hands. Have you heard the word.' etiquette'?

Wow, things didn't end there. The pressure on me was huge. I still gave Not-so-Charming some time to prove his mettle. Then through the conversation, the evil awakened. To make a statement, ' I would never want my wife to earn more than me', was the boiling point. My dear MCP( Male Chauvinist Pig) , I might not make half, of  what you do but I do aspire, to make good. I need a supportive, encouraging soul mate and not a competitive one. Thank you for being the insensitive and the insensible ass.I learnt my lesson.

 I realize, marriage is much more than two people given an official stamp to sleep on the same bed. I am not perfect nor do I expect you to be. I am not going to reform  you nor wash your dirty undies too. Let me love you and care for you, for the love,care and support you show me.

No comments: